Happy New Year everyone! A new year, a new beginning, it may sound as cliché as it is, but it is true that we cannot hide this hype in us as we start a new year. Feeling of having a makeover in your house? Want to add on something new this year? Or maybe your wall is just a little too plain and it is definitely worth a display? Yes, you are on the right page!
We have 5 simple DIY ideas to bring your memories back to life on your wall today. So simple that you could get it done in just one day! Those precious memories certainly would lit up that dull and boring wall or space, and your EVERY day as well.
So look through our list here and get inspired!
1. Modern and Minimalist Photo Wall Hanging Display
If something modern and minimalist photo display is what you are looking for, this is the one for you!
- minimum of 9 photos (size: 4×4)
- 1 wood dowel
- acrylic paint
- foam brush
- yarn string
- super glue
- card stock
- clay blade or knife
- paint pen
- parchment paper
- Washi tape/scotch tape
1. Paint the wood dowel with black acrylic paint using a foam brush. Once it is dried, tie the both ends with a piece of yarn string with a double knot. Secure the knots with a little dab of super glue. Once it is secured, cut off the excess yarn string.
2. Next, tie another 3 pieces of yarn string on the wood dowel in between the both ends. Have the string at about 85cm long (may adjust to your own desired length). Dab the double knots with super glue and cut off the excess yarn.
3. Now, it’s time to make the clay which is the highlight of this photo display. Let’s draw the shape out first using a card stock. Start with a 4-inch line as a base. Then, draw a straight line down at the midpoint and finish up the triangle with two lines from the base to the centre point. After that, draw another triangle with longer sides with 5.5 inches long.
4. Place a sheet of parchment paper on a cutting board. Then, roll one block of black clay into a ball, flatten it with a rolling pin to a size that is large enough to fit the triangle card stock.
5. Cut the triangular shape out with a knife or a clay blade if you have one. To make a hole on the top, use a straw and poke through the clay. Wiggle the straw until a tiny piece of clay falls out. Do likewise for the other two triangles.
6. Once done, transfer them to a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper and bake them for about 30 minutes at 260F / 130C (check the temperature on the clay packaging, it may differ a little).
7. After 30 minutes, let it cool. Once cooled, draw a sprinkle-liked pattern on each triangle with a white paint pen. Tie them at the end of each yarn that you previously tied on the wood dowel.
8. Finally, hang your photos on the yarn. 3 on each string, you may add more. If you do so, remember to adjust the length of the string at step 2. Stick those photos with a Washi tape or an ordinary plain scotch tape will do.
And you are DONE! Hang this display on your wall to admire those memorable photos.
2. Artsy Geometrical Wall Photo Display
Intending to get your artsy fingers onto the wall? Try this idea out to fill your empty bare walls with geometrical design photo display which will enhance your photos right away!
- Bronze coloured cord
- Photos (size: 2×2 inch and 3×3 inch)
- Binder clips
1. Sketch your design on the notebook. Plan a direction chart as well indicating which part is the starting point. Once, you are satisfied with it. Put your nails on the wall based on your sketch. Match those nails with your wall by painting them.
2. Then, put up the bronze cord according to the directions you have planned and end it with a knot. Do it based on sections.
3. Finally, it is all up and ready for your photos to be pinned. Print your photos out and pin them with binder clips!
Tadaa! You can start admiring your work now!
3. Floral Photo Hoop
Photo hoops? Never thought of your childhood game can serve as a great deco in your house? Try these simple steps now!
- Hula Hoop
- gold spray paint
- hot glue gun
- hot glue sticks
- 1″ Satin ribbons
- photo paper (Size: 3×3 Inch)
- fresh flowers
- thin wire
1. Firstly, spray the hula hoop gold on all sides. Let it to dry for about 30 minutes.
2. In the meantime, print out your photos onto photo papers at a size of 3×3 inch. Also, leave room for a white border on each photo.
3. Then, cut 5 long strands of ribbons. Measure them on the hula hoop and cut 2 inches longer than the diameter of the hoop.
4. After cutting, place the hoop on a flat surface. Lay the ribbons and adjust them until their gaps are evenly spaced.
5. Secure the ribbons by hot glueing the ribbons on the back of the hoop. Make sure you keep the ribbons straight by pulling it tight.
6. Arrange the photos on the ribbons and stick onto it with a dab of hot glue. You may use a strong tape instead if you intend to change the photos once in a while.
7. The final step which is to beautify the photo hoop with fresh flowers. Arrange the flowers to your own likings, starting with a base of greenery leaves then to the blooming flowers. Secure the stems tightly onto the hoop with wires.
And your photo hoop is ready for display on the wall or even hanging it down from the ceiling!
4. Mini Mountain Photo Holder
This mini mountain photo holder is ideal for you as an alternative to a photo frame. So simple with only 3 main materials needed just to complete this modern and chic photo holder!
- 3 Blocks of polymer clay
- Cutting knife
- Cutting mat or board
- Parchment paper or foil
- Metallic gold nail polish
- Strong all purpose glue
- Photos (any preferable size)
1. Firstly, get one block of clay and cut it into half with a knife. After cutting into two halves, take one and cut it into a triangle about an inch tall. This would be your main centre photo holder. So, cut the top of this triangle right down until the middle just nice for your photo to slip in.
2. Next, take the remaining half of the clay and cut it into half again. But, take note not to cut it too thin to prevent it from becoming wobbly. Cut out a medium and small triangle from this clay, to be used together with the bigger main triangle later.
3. After you have prepared all the triangles, place them on the baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake them according to the time and temperature stated on the clay packaging or packet.
4. Once all the clays are cooled and hardened, paint the tips of each triangle with the metallic gold nail polish.
5. You may start assembling the triangles together once the paint is completely dry. Get the big main triangle first and stick one small and one medium triangle on each side with a dab of strong glue. Lay it flat on the ground or a flat surface and leave it to dry.
6. Assemble the remaining triangles with these steps and get ready for your photos to be up!
Voila! This cute little mountain photo holder can be done effortlessly. I’ll assure you that your space will be enhanced with this DIY photo holders. Feel free to play around with different colours of clay or even paint them with different patterns. Have it your own way!
5. Personalised Photo Calendar
Interested in having your own personalised calendar? This idea is perfect for you as you can have your photos together with the calendar, killing two birds with one stone! So, follow me as I guide you with these few easy steps.
- a sheet of Calendar paper
- 2 sheets of patterned paper
- 12 photos (Size: 3×4 inch)
- strong glue
- cutting board
- pen knife/ scissors
- a photo stand
1. Start by selecting 12 of your favourite photos and print them into a size of 3×4 inch. Then, cut the calendar papers into 3×4 size as well. Make sure it is measured well and evenly spaced.
2. Next, cut out 12 pieces of 4×6 inch size from the patterned paper you have prepared. These patterned papers will serve as the base of the calendars.
3. Once you get all those papers and photos trimmed, place one photo alongside with one of the monthly calendar and stick them on the patterned paper with a glue. Do likewise for the rest of the photos and monthly calendars.
And…you are DONE! You may add the final touch by placing these cards on a photo stand or stick it on your walls. Wow, what are you waiting for? Start making this awesome looking photo calendar this new year!
Felt a tingling inspiration after going through this list? Get those tingling crafty fingers on work now!
“Create the things you wish existed”
Feel free to share your thoughts in the comment area below. We love to hear from you!
Stay tuned as we will update more cool DIY ideas soon.