No outfit is complete without a glamorous finish to your final ensemble.
Taken cues from the latest autumn/winter 2016-2017 runway fashion shows, this season’s makeup trends give rise to glittery eyelids, dark lips, smokey smudgy eyes, barely there au naturale look, graphic liners, and untamed brows.
While we tend to show off less skin in autumn/winter season, most colors and exquisite arts are more likely to fall on our face – just like an art exhibition!
As such, give your look a subtle cool spin it deserves with these hottest autumn/winter 2016-2017 makeup trends!
1. Modern Grunge Eyes
Smokey eyes are timelessly sexy and dramatic where you can wear it to a big concert or a posh gala dinner.
However, this autumn/winter 2016-2017 makeup trends have decided to give this timeless smokey eyes a little bit of an update.
One of the keys to creating this on-point makeup is by adding more smoke and smudge to the bottom lash line.
Tips to create #ModernGrungeEyes:
- Grab a chunky eyeliner pencil in whatever color you preferred, draw a thick line across your upper lash line.
- Smudge it on the lid with your fingertips or makeup brush to blur the edges upwards.
- Gently pat matching shadows on top of your lid, and blend it out into the crease to create a black smudgy look.
- Repeat the same step to your bottom lash line with moderate eyeliner and matching shadow, until you’ve reached your desired look.
- Apply mascara and you’re done!
2. Psychedelic Eyes
Getting bored of wearing the same black eyeliner or neutral shades eyeshadow? Try investing in some striking technicolor this fall and bring some more liveliness to your daily ensemble!
Though many of us think that Fall season is often associated with darker or autumnal hues, it doesn’t mean that we can not wear bright colors out as if we’re living in Spring season.
Change the way you do your makeup this Fall and play around with colorful liquid liners to create a bold statement eye, the results will be amazing, trust me.
Tips to create #PsychedelicEyes:
- Apply a base of nude eyeshadow primer before putting on any shadow or liner. This can avoid makeup meltdown or smudges. Then, dab on some powder to help set the primer.
- Now, imagine you’re the painter trying to create your own masterpiece, and your visage would be your canvas. You can either choose to focus on your upper lashline or lower lashline, it’s all up to you!
- If you want to focus on your upper lashline, opt for a colorful gel liner and swipe it over your upper eyelid. Once you’ve done drawing eyeliner, apply mascara and you’re good to go.
- You can also choose to tight lining your bottom lashes with a bold hue. Opt for a long-wear pencil for extra lasting power, and line the lower water line in any striking colors. Load up on a dramatic volumizing mascara for the best effect. Lastly, add a finishing touch to your upper eyelid with a lighter color such as glimmery champagne or white gold eye shadow.
3. Ultra-Graphic Liners
Instead of drawing eyeliners under the lashes, some designers have taken eyeliners to a whole new level which is creating a statement look with graphic liner.
By playing around with eccentric shapes, chunkier smudges, striking colors and glittery shadows, it became quite obvious that the creativeness of using a liner is endless.
Thus, express your artsy side and change the way you draw your eyeliner this fall with pretty graphic such as extended triangles, double linings, or double-sided cat-eye.
Tips to create #Ultra-GraphicLiners:
- First, you’ll need a good performance jet-black liner and some pointed brush to create that look. The easiest way to creating a graphic statement liner is by tracing the upper and lower lashline with a liquid liner, then, extend the lines to the point where your eyebrow ends at (leaving a space in between). Make sure the lines are horizontally straight without curving upwards or downwards.
- Another cool way of doing a graphic liner is double-sided cat-eye. This one is pretty easy to do and the result is sexy AF. Firstly, you’ll need to draw the usual cat-eye liner. Then, add another reverse cat-eye liner at the tear ducts. That’s it!
4. Fifty Shades Darker
This fall/winter 2016-2017 makeup trends are all about dark lips and darker lips as if we’re entering the season of horror.
Perhaps, you might think that it’s nothing new to see darker lipstick trend lingering around in the fall season, but when it comes to an extent that it’s nowhere near to black? Now this is something.
Some designers have been playing around with dark lips with different texture and color spectrum. From lacquered blackcurrant pouts, berry-like lips, rouge-noir lips, to a gothic matte-black lips, all these trends are simply fascinating and groundbreaking to try with.
If you’re the beginner of wearing dark lipstick, fret not I’ve got you covered. Here are the tips every beginner needs to know before applying dark lipstick to your pout and turn out to be amazing.
Tips to create #50ShadesDarker:
- Start off with tracing the edge of your lips with a lip liner.
- Then, fill in the lips with lip liner. This will ensure a longer staying power as lip liner is basically more long-wearing than lipstick.
- Now, apply dark lipstick while you’re holding your lips taut. It will form cracks and lines if you were to apply it while your lips are relaxed.
- Blot off some of the lipstick you just applied with a tissue paper. Lipstick will be sealed into your lips by doing so. Then, apply another layer of lipstick with a dabbing motion.
- Clean up the border of your lips with concealer.
- Lastly, put a finger in your mouth with your lips closed, and pull your finger out. This is essential to prevent having lipstick smears on your teeth. Now you’re good to go!
5. A Touch of Glitter
It was raining glitter everywhere, like literally.
If you’ve noticed the latest autumn/winter 2016-2017 runway shows, all major fashion brands have one central thing in common which is glitter.
Well, if this awesome-possum glitter makeup trend doesn’t amuse you or make you feel excited, I don’t know what will.
Who wouldn’t want to look like a unicorn everyday with colorful glitters on their eyes? Hashtag #teamglitter!
Adding a splash of glitter have literally made the models shine brighter than the stars at the runways. Hence, I can’t think of a reason to not try this trend.
To make this glitter style easily wearable, it is fairly easy to do if you followed the tips I share with you, step by step.
Tips to create #ATouchOf Glitter:
- Glitter Eye Makeup – To create a sparkly eye, all you need is an intensely pigmented sparkly eyeshadow and a primer with a very thick finish. Start off with applying primer to your eyelids, then apply sparkly eye shadow in the center of your eyelid and that’s it! If you like it more dramatic, draw a thick winged liner to spice up your look. Lastly, apply volumizing mascara to add a finishing touch.
- Bright arches – To make glitter style more wearable and easier, try adding a thin, glitter line on your brow bone instead of applying it all over to your eyelids. This “glitter underbrow” trend is brought up by Giambattista Valli at the Paris fashion show on March 7. This makeup style goes perfectly well with a minimal face makeup and a slicked back hair.
6. Untamed Brows
As opposed to the usual clean, arch-shaped and well-defined brows, this year’s autumn/winter fashion shows have brought in another level of beauty trend which is untamed brows.
This trend is seen all over the fashion shows with models rocking their thick and unkempt brows confidently.
Having said that, we no longer need the perfect Instagram brow that requires a lot of plucking, dabbing powder and tedious sculpting technique.
Tips to create #UntamedBrows:
- Use a brow pencil (preferably close to your brows color so that it appears more naturally) to fill in any sparse areas.
- Then, brush your brows up using a spoolie brush. That’s it!
7. Au Naturale
Looking all natural with minimal face makeup, flush cheeks, dewy-looking skin and the just-got-bitten lips is one of the best makeup trend this fall 2016.
If you’re still repeating the mundane contouring steps such as shading, blushing, and highlighting, that is so two-thousand-and-late.
Taking notes from the autumn/winter 2016-2017 fashion shows, we learned that the prettiest skin was a radiant, healthy glowing skin with a little bit of highlighting, rosy cheeks, and berry-tinted lips.
Top off the look with a freshly washed hair and dainty accessories and you’ll look gorgeously on-point.
Tips to create #AuNaturale:
- Swipe shimmering powder on the cheekbones, brow bones, and cupid’s bow.
- Apply peach shadows on your eyelid.
- Finish off with applying blush to your apple cheekbones.
- Lastly, put on tinted lip balm and mascara and you’re completed!
FashionStock.com / Shutterstock.com
That’s all for today’s topic and I hope you guys find it informative and interesting.
Out of all these fall/winter 2016-2017 makeup trends that I’ve shared, which is your favorite trend?
Drop us a comment below and tell us what you think!
Before signing off, here’s an inspiring quote from Bobbi Brown:
I believe that all women are pretty without makeup – and can be pretty powerful with the right makeup.
Stay tuned for more awesome topics as we update on every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
If you love this post, don’t forget to share it with your friends.
‘Till next time and don’t forget to be beautiful!